Monday, January 21, 2013

Sooo Long. And Thanks for All the Fish

It is going to be a long four years.

I do wish President Obama the best. He won. He's our president. I'm just hoping the consequences will be minimized and that we won't have to make way for a constitutional bypass.

And since my life isn't primarily political, I have much else to be thankful for and to define my happiness. But I do live in this country and kind of count on things going reasonably well around me. There's only so much you can do to fight a bad current.

And on the bright side, I always like to remind myself that we set a good example for the rest of the world on how to manage potential transitions of power. They always remain peaceful and they are done at regular intervals. Even when the stakes are high (or just appear high to us--both sides of the debate).

UPDATE: A long four years, indeed. Today the president again said that he has "responsibly ended a decade of war." Well, no matter how much we are standing aside, the wars continue.

And while the president pledged renewed emphasis on fighting global warming, he'd have more credibility claiming to have responsibly ended global temperature increases combined with reducing American greenhouse gas emissions.