Wednesday, January 09, 2013

The Foundation of American Society is the Target

Stratfor argues that our global power is threatened by the failure to maintain an economy that "raises all boats" with the tide of progress, as the expression has it. Our leaders aren't offering solutions to solve this problem. I don't think our leaders want to solve that problem.

This conclusion about the erosion of our middle class is kind of depressing:

It would seem to me that unless the United States gets lucky again, its global dominance is in jeopardy. Considering its history, the United States can expect to get lucky again, but it usually gets lucky when it is frightened. And at this point it isn't frightened but angry, believing that if only its own solutions were employed, this problem and all others would go away. I am arguing that the conventional solutions offered by all sides do not yet grasp the magnitude of the problem -- that the foundation of American society is at risk -- and therefore all sides are content to repeat what has been said before.

People who are smarter and luckier than I am will have to craft the solution. I am simply pointing out the potential consequences of the problem and the inadequacy of all the ideas I have seen so far.

But the really depressing thing is that I don't believe our leaders on the left are trying to solve that problem described by Stratfor.

I suggest that we need more people in charge who actually believe Stratfor's description of our potential loss of global power is any problem at all.