Friday, May 25, 2012

Wednesday, 25 MAY 88

Day started badly. Feet hurt like
hell and I could barely march.
Rode to rifle range to zero our
M-16A1s. No problem, 9 of 12 in
circle. One of first to finish.
PT not too tough. Feet felt
better as day went on. New blister
on right foot but basically better.
Locker and bunk straightened. Letter
from [fiance]. Getting used to
little sleep. I was good to go on
4 hours of interrupted sleep. Morale
much better. I think we'll go
off total control tomorrow.
I bet [sergeant Sierra] will turn out to
be cool. With more rifle time,
less bull to put up with. Marching
around with pack a pain. Feel good about
yesterday's march--I never gave up my
M-16 during march though two troops offered
to carry it. I've also kept my claymore
at all times. I haven't been hassled
lately. I won't go on sick call. Feet
feeling better though still bad. Back
seems ok. Start letter to [fiance].
Want her to know I'm ok. I'll
probably get to call her before letter
gets to her. 8:45--3rd platoon being
dogged outside.

After yesterday, no doubt the day started off badly. But a ride to the rifle range and hope that the focus on shooting would crowd out harassment did wonders it seems.

And whatever feet and back problems I had, they at least seemed like they wouldn't keep me from continuing training. Pain was one thing. Injuries that put me out another altogether. Only the latter was unacceptable.

I'd forgotten that we'd sometimes carry each others stuff during marches if someone got really tired to the point of nearing falling out. Troops did and there was a truck that followed the company to carry them after they were revived and checked out. I felt strongly about not giving up my weapons.

And I guess I had a good opinion of our new drill sergeant. But I can't remember him one bit, to be honest.

And there was a reminder that things could be worse as another platoon experienced an evening training opportunity. Actually, any time we were dropped as individuals or as a group, we had to call out, "Thank you, drill sergeant, for training my mind and my body!"

Sometimes it took effort to remember that they weren't sadistic SOBs.