Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Snakes in a Park

No planes were involved. And there was only one snake. But Lamb was with me recently when I spotted one slithering along the perimeter of the park where she was playing on the swing set.

She was not happy when I noticed it. She's wanted to go to the park a lot since the weather got good. I did not want her to be scared off of it.

Of course, she wanted to be picked up so the snake wouldn't grab her feet. So I did.

And then I walked toward the snake--all 18 inches of Michigan non-poisonous variety of snake--while carrying Lamb. She wasn't happy, but I explained if it came close I could jump on it and that would be that. She asked if that would kill it and I said maybe--but if it doesn't it will try to get away.

I told her I'd once killed a snake like that before she was born. I said I regretted it because they are harmless, but it was in our backyard and I thought I was protecting her mom from the snake. I was a little surprised when my then-wife wondered why I'd killed it and wasn't happy about it. Go figure.

After a while she was kind of curious. So we followed it as it slithered along the edge of the park perimeter. It stopped under a big weed (park maintenance is pretty sparse this year, it seems) and poked its head through to extend its tongue and see if we're a threat, I guess. We got bored watching it, and Lamb resumed play. The snake was no longer a cause of panic but just a little guest--who is best viewed from dad's arms, of course--but not a major threat. I'm sure it will be a story at school.

So I did not need to kill another snake, thank goodness.

No movies will be made about a snake in a park.