Monday, May 14, 2012

Let the Punishment Fit the Crime

I knew something new was up on the Best Buy front from the signals intelligence I have access to (my stats). I haven't gotten hits on searches for my name since the scandal first broke. It seems that Brian J. Dunn's affair "close personal relationship" with an employee has resulted in the chairman losing his job.

More interesting is the punishment that Dunn had to endure:

Dunn was a 28-year company veteran who had been head of Best Buy since 2009 until he resigned in April after the board launched the investigation into his personal conduct. His severance package includes a 2012 bonus of $1.1 million, stock grants of $2.5 million, a severance payment of $2.9 million and more than $100,000 for unused vacation.

Well, that will teach him a lesson. Dunn's behavior was "unacceptable," after all.

Although in his defense, who hasn't heard that before? I mean, according to the article, he didn't use any of the company's planes as part of the affair "close personal relationship."

I have to wonder what you get at that company if you don't diddle the help have a "close personal relationship" with staff and turn record profits in the face of online competition.

And let me add that writing this post felt like sticking pins into a doll that looks like myself.