Monday, August 31, 2026

The Winter War of 2022 Reflects That But For the Grace of God Go I

 

Russia’s insistence that it must restore the Soviet empire that it lost in 1991 even as Russia’s ground forces bleed out trying to “return” Ukraine to Mother Russia’s loving embrace isn’t exactly a recruiting ad for the empire. Other former republics of the Soviet Union know that Russia has territorial ambitions yet lacks the power to enforce that. Other ex-Soviet states may decide they need to act during this gap between ambitions and power before the gap closes on them.

Head on over to Substack for the essay. I decided to publish this series there. But you can always get the link here on TDR.

NOTE: ISW updates continue here.

NOTE: Also, I put war-related links and commentary in the Weekend Data Dump on Substack. You may read my posts on Substack, at The Dignified Rant: Evolved.