Monday, July 02, 2012

Saturday, 2 JUL 88

Real PT this morning!
Captain [Hotel] insisted. Weapons and
gear cleaning. They reminded
us we were still in the Army.
No movies like we were told.
Some ordered pizza but I skipped.
Cold seems pretty bad. At least
I didn't get sick during training.

I remember hearing Sergeant [Delta] on the phone with the good captain trying to explain that today's PT was supposed to be "grab ass"--sports or whatever. Our company commander insisted and our NCOs complied with the orders without complaining to us about it. We did real PT. That sucked. Not that it was tough on us at this point. But it was unexpected.

We cleaned our gear in order to turn it in. And again we cleaned our M-16s. We hadn't been using them or carrying them around, so it was really just busy work. And those rifles can never be too clean. Best to get troops used to that fact of life.

Given what movies I had seen on the base, I shouldn't have been too disappointed. But it was time to ourselves and junk food. I almost have a mental image of the base theater's concession stand, but it is too hazy to remember if that is what I am seeing.

I passed over the opportunity to order over-priced pizza from the pizzeria that had the base concession. Perhaps if I hadn't come down with a cold virus I'd have felt differently.