Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fish Funeral

Lamb's second Betta fish died. She's older now and even remarked that she cried for 10 minutes unlike her first experience when she cried for a day (off and on).

But she has expectations for a fish funeral. She wanted a casket. So I scrounged my last ring box with some tissue paper. And she wanted a headstone. So I cut a piece of scrap wood, painted it and inscribed it with the information about the beloved fish, and hot-glued popsicle sticks on it to stick in the ground. Lamb thought it was all right. So I dug the grave next to the first fish and buried the box, and Lamb arranged rocks around the headstone as decorations.

She wants a new fish. And she'll love that fish, too.

I'm not a fish person. But I've been to two fish funerals now. Although as a child I did bury two turtles.

Life goes on.