Thursday, October 04, 2012

Hear Him Roar

Miguel Cabrera earned the coveted Triple Crown for his play this year with the Detroit Tigers:

Cabrera became the first major leaguer in 45 years to win baseball's hallowed Triple Crown, leading the sport in home runs (44), runs batted in (139) and batting average (.330). That feat will go down in history. But those of us alive to see this achievement will remember how he could have sat out the final game and won the Crown. But he chose not to. He chose to play.

That's freaking outstanding. What a player.

I'm not much of a baseball fan these days. But I grew up in Detroit (and my dad took me to Tiger Stadium back in the day), so the Tigers still have a place in my sports heart.

Congratulations, Miguel. How long will it be before another player can achieve this?