Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Sunday, 5 JUN 88

Easy day. Talked to [fiance]
twice. Dad bitched about wedding.
I understand his concerns. I just
wish he'd realize they are baseless.
No pass today. Wasted personal
time on locker and barracks
maintenance on understanding
we would get passes. Oh no.
We were robbed. Passed on
sales pitch for Army clothing.
Bought new watch. Got 8+
hours of sleep last night--a
world record. Tomorrow we
night fire. Back at 2300.
I will try to get in on the
road march tomorrow morning.
My ruck is taped up. Finally
got a few stamps + envelopes.
A couple more weeks of actual
training and then prepare for
graduation. Bivouac starting
15 JUN 88. Should be fun.
Feet a lot better. Back a
little better. Expect 7 hours
sleep tonight. Senior Drill
Sergeant's inspection tomorrow.

Another easy day. Two in a row.

I think I remember that conversation with dad when I talked to him. I believe I told him that I'd be at the church whether he was there or not, but I hoped he'd be there, too.

We were not freed to wander as we were promised. It was nice to get actual sleep. maybe because we'd be out late the next night and wouldn't even march back until 11:00 p.m.

I'm not sure what "my ruck is taped up" means. My rucksack is what I mean. I don't recall it being either damaged or sealed. I'm going to have to ponder that.

It definitely must have seemed down hill at this point since I was looking forward to our field exercise.

And with antibiotics to fight my foot infection, my foot was gloriously feeling so much better. My back wasn't making the same progress but what can you do?

And another inspection was upon us. So our lockers had to look marvelous.

Since I was going home after basic training (I was split-training option, if you'll recall), my focus was on being a civilian again and I had no desire to by the corporate gear for off-duty wear.