Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Continuity Error?

Did different writers draft different portions of the president's September 10th speech? (It is so fitting to call it that, really.)

President Obama first says we shouldn't be the world's policeman:

Finally, many of you have asked: Why not leave this to other countries, or seek solutions short of force? As several people wrote to me, “We should not be the world’s policeman.”

I agree, and I have a deeply held preference for peaceful solutions.

So being a policeman--enforcing the laws--isn't what we should do. Got it. Please go on.

Except that when we enforced the world's laws--that is, acted as the world's policeman--things were better:

My fellow Americans, for nearly seven decades, the United States has been the anchor of global security. This has meant doing more than forging international agreements -- it has meant enforcing them. The burdens of leadership are often heavy, but the world is a better place because we have borne them.

So, leading from the front has been a good thing? Even if it has been a burden for us?

I'm so confused! Is it good or bad for America to enforce international agreements?

I should check the film. Will I see different ties or shirt colors in these different parts of the speech--or maybe different shadows from sunlight entering a window--indicating that the White House spliced together pieces filmed at different times and forgot to make sure the whole thing fit together?

Stupid me. I went and read the speech even after I listened and couldn't believe my ears. I had to go check to see if I really heard that rather major contradiction. I did.

This should be embarrassing for whoever wrote this word vomit.