Friday, December 14, 2012

In for a Penny

We are sending a stripped down air defense battalion to Turkey in case we need to fire at Syrian aircraft. This is part of NATO's response to Turkey's request for help.

Our contribution to the NATO move will be 400 troops:

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta signed an order on Friday to send two Patriot missile batteries to Turkey with 400 American personnel to operate them, in a move by NATO members to bolster Turkey's defenses against the threat of Syrian missiles.

I assume this is a stripped down battalion, with the headquarters and maintenance elements being joined by just two of the unit's firing batteries.

I wonder if an infantry company is being sent for local security? I'm not sure if that would fit in with the troop level announced. I think it should be enough for security forces, but I don't know for sure. I know that when I was in the National Guard we were always told that our signal unit would have an infantry company attached to provide local security.

Or will the Turks provide local security?

I guess it won't be long before we find out if this is a token force or just the first force sent for the crisis.