Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Now This is What I'm Talking About

Like I wrote before (and before then, too), I sometimes feel guilty about railing about the Left in regard to our foreign policy and the war. I don't mean to tar all Democrats with this anger or even all liberals. Though I do fear that too many of the Left's talking points resonate with liberals and Democrats. Once the Democratic Party stood for defense, too. But now a Democrat such as Lieberman is ostracized by the base Left.

And I don't want to go into domestic politics. If I did comment on domestic politics, I'm sure I'd rail against Republican positions on quite a number of things, too. And don't even get me started on the Buchanan wing of the Right--I have no use for them. But I make no claims of any particular expertise in this area. Opinions I have for sure, but everyone has those. So I try to stay in my lane in foreign policy and defense issues. But too often, domestic politics cross the water's edge. In these cases, I reluctantly comment. And it is the Left that draws my ire on this subject.

But I can't be too bad considering that even the Left doesn't like the Democratic Party and reasonable liberals:


Right on cue, liberal activists including Cindy Sheehan and Ramsey Clark gathered yesterday at the Busboys & Poets restaurant and bookshop at 14th and V streets NW for what they billed as a forum on "The Impeachment of President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney." But the participants, while charging the administration with "crimes against humanity," a "war of aggression" and even "the supreme international crime," inevitably turned their wrath on congressional Democrats, whom they regarded as a bunch of wimps.


These people are just nuts. Even my history-major background allows me to make this diagnosis with little worry that I'm out of my league.

My basic worry is that this Left is increasingly driving the Democratic Party, and that liberals are not sufficiently motivated to put down this ongoing revolt against sanity in their party.

So really, I'm not trying to be dismissive of a broad slice of the political spectrum. Not that I'm defensive. Just seeking clarity. So if you are a Democrat or--God forbid--a liberal, don't take offense when I rail about the Left.

I mean, unless guilt is kicking in for tolerating them among you and letting them set the tone for your side.