Friday, June 10, 2022

No Range For You!

The Army can't continue its long-range cannon program.

The Air Force isn't enthusiastic about providing the Army with close air support. I wrongly assumed there was no way the Air Force could prevent the Army from building cannons.

I'm disappointed (tip to Instapundit):

The U.S. Army has canceled a program to develop the world’s most powerful cannon. The Strategic Long Range Cannon (SLRC), had it worked, would have been able to lob a projectile 1,150 miles—much farther than any other cannon ever developed. The move comes after Congress zeroed out funding for the gun.

I'm disappointed not just because I don't trust the Air Force to give priority to supporting the Army in battle

Yes that cannon would be useful in the Pacific. Whether used by the Army, Marines, or Navy NECC ground forces. So I assumed the Navy at least would back the Army. But no.

And yes, I'm assuming Air Force lobbyists convinced Congress to halt the money. I'm cynical that way.

But I'm also disappointed because the cannon would provide a massive fires footprint to support the Army. 

Mostly, however, I'm disappointed because the technology would be great for the surface Navy

NOTE: War coverage continues on this post.