Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pilot Error

So I've just finished a donut and my coffee is almost done brewing.

I've opened my email to check on all the invitations I've received for high class social events next week clean out my junk mail, when I hear a loud, sharp, THUNK! at the front of my home.

This probably says something about me, but my first thought was, "Did somebody just throw a rock at my window? Looking around I see no glass. Looking outside I see no culprit.

I'm puzzled. I know I haven't had a cup of that coffee brewing, but I did shower. So I am awake.

Then I think, "It sounds like a bird hit my window." So I get shoes on and go outside. Sure enough, there's a Robin on the sidewalk below a large picture window, feet up. And not moving.

Well, heck.

So I get a leaf and prod the poor little guy. Nothing. But no blood and nothing obviously broken or twisted. Just very still. I went for a paper towel and picked him up. The eyes opened but I couldn't really tell if there was life. The bird wasn't rigid, so there was life recently. But this didn't look good.

I set the bird behind some bushes to give it cover if it was just stunned. That was half an hour ago. I just checked again and the bird is still there. This really doesn't look good.

I think there is a new gash in the screen. I don't think I had any holes in the screen before, but it is hard for me to say. But if that is new, it might have been caused by a bird going beak first into the window.

I'll check on the Robin later. Not much I can do but hope he is just pretty stunned. If so, I can tell this story to Lamb.

If not, it's a dumpster burial. And no story.

Well, there' a story. Just not one for Lamb. Poor bird--a symbol of our state, no less--is flying around without a care in the world on a sunny fall day. And then he makes one simple mistake. And then he's dead.

I'm not sure I want to leave home today.

UPDATE: I called it at 11:30 a.m. Burial in the dumpster--in a donut box. Which, in a way, is my highest honor. Poor bird...