Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bring Out Your Sad!

Huh. You've heard of the saying, "the beatings will continue until morale improves"?

Well, this business owner turns that thinking up to "11."

About 10 years ago I was having my annual holiday party, and my niece had come with her newly minted M.B.A. boyfriend. As he looked around the room, he noted that my employees seemed happy. I told him that I thought they were.

Then, figuring I would take his new degree for a test drive, I asked him how he thought I did that. "I'm sure you treat them well," he replied.

"That's half of it," I said. "Do you know what the other half is?"

He didn't have the answer, and neither have the many other people that I have told this story. So what is the answer? I fired the unhappy people. People usually laugh at this point. I wish I were kidding.

Yeah. I wonder how long it took for his employees to realize that the saddest seemed to bite the dust? I sure bet reported "happiness" improved as he made his rounds through the office.
 


I can see his office now.



Yes, indeed, it's a good office. Nobody thinks bad thoughts about Mr. Goltz. It's a very happy office.