Monday, February 13, 2012

In Sickness and in Health

Mister is home today with me, nursing a cold that he probably caught from Lamb--who spend last Monday here at home with me. White rice cooked in broth was on the menu for both.

Lamb, who I took to school, learned a lesson in taking some sibling delight in her brother catching her cold to resentment as her brother stayed home from school.

Lamb is better now, but her mom was enough a worrywart to squash my plans for some Lamb sledding yesterday. Moms.

But Lamb wasn't too disappointed. I guess our two recent sledding trips made the lack of sledding easier to take. Besides, I did take her to see the movie Smurfs at her school last Friday. It wasn't as horrifyingly awful as I feared. I wisely brought my iPod Touch to surf the web while the movie was on so I avoided the Smurfiest moments from inattention, I'm sure.

But one day, when Lamb is a contrary and surly teenager, that night will be an exhibit in my oration on "Yes, honey, I really do love you with all my heart."

So instead of sledding, Lamb worked on a little wooden box that I glued together and she painted. And she made a belated Easy Bake birthday cake for her mom. If that isn't revenge for blocking sledding, I don't know what is.

I eat the cakes Lamb makes me. With enough real frosting, many baking sins are erased. I suspect her mom took the cake to work in order to have a trash can that Lamb won't see.