Friday, February 17, 2012

I Hesitate to Mention This

I'm not a basketball fan--at all. Until the 1980s, I did follow the Pistons. But I lost interest. I am aware of the Jeremy Lin phenomenon. By all accounts, he is excellent. And in a rarity for basketball, an Asian American of Taiwanese ancestry (leading to something of a feud between Taiwan and China to "claim" him, it seems). So he is blazing a trail, too.

Lin plays for the New York Knicks. But when I heard some sports guy mention he plays at "MSG," I nearly did a spit-take. Was this some type of ethnic insensitivity here?

Apparently not. I didn't realize that the Knicks' arena, Madison Square Garden, is often just called "MSG". Which has nothing to do with the food additive that is infamous in Chinese food.

I wish Lin well. But if Lin goes to another team, it will be easy to imagine a lot of sports page headlines.