Friday, December 03, 2010

A Michigan Man

Lord knows I'm frustrated at the last few seasons of Michigan football. I think I only missed one home game the last three years. But I think he deserves our continued support.

Rodriguez came in with some big holes in our team. And he has built a very good offense. Next year it will be better and our defense will improve, too. We should see some signs of that in our bowl game as injured players who we sorely missed on defense are healthy enough to play. And we did win 7 games this year, which was all I hoped for (I would have been happy with only 6 wins if one was Ohio State but that's another issue).

Rodriguez wants to be a Michigan man. And he has endured the criticism on his own shoulders, refusing to put off blame on players to save himself. He has earned the loyalty of his players. Based on his coaching performance and off-field behavior, he seems like a good guy. That counts a lot for me, too.

Give the man a break. And give him his fourth year to show what the players he recruited and trained can do. I know Michigan fans aren't used to this kind of wandering in the desert, but the Promised Bowl is in sight.

Don't make Rodriguez suffer by not going with his team to that game. One day, if we let him succeed, he will be recognized as a Michigan man by all the fans and alumni.