Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oh Good Grief

I guess I don't pay attention to much of the blogosphere where this is apparently an issue. A recent press conference where the "birther" issue was raised was my first clue that the question of President Obama's place of birth was still out there in the fringe.

Look, it was a legitimate question to ask given it is one of the few requirements to be our president. But it was asked and answered. President Obama is a natural born American citizen. Period. Yet Hawaii had to answer the question again:

State officials in Hawaii on Monday said they have once again checked and confirmed that President Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen, and therefore meets a key constitutional requirement for being president.

They hoped to stem a recent surge in the number of inquiries about Obama's birthplace.


I have some sympathy over the president's plight because last year the document I've used as my birth certificate my entire adult life was questioned by a county clerk when I applied for a passport last year. In the end, it was good enough for the State Department. Case closed.

I can understand buyer's remorse setting in, but tough luck. He's our president and commander in chief; and the question relevant to any regret about that fact is scheduled for 2012. Case closed.

More relevant than demanding the "real" certificate of live birth of the president, the "birthers" all need a certificate of the birth of a life. They should really get one.

Let's not give foreign enemies something to dig into and laugh about, eh?