Friday, September 03, 2021

Feeling Defeat

Afghanistan is my first American defeat in war.

I've argued against analysts who argue America's war record after World War II is poor. Hogwash, I said. Those who claim Iraq was a defeat--or other wars we fought, for that matter--are working hard to ignore victory. Are Americans victory blind?

Critics demand too high a standard for America while seemingly deeming any enemy survival as brilliant, glorious victory. I don't understand that urge to inflate enemies and deflate America.

Now, I know I am right about this defeat because Afghanistan feels like defeat in my very bones. Sudden, unexpected--and needless--defeat. I feel sick to my stomach at the result. And I'm angry at the administration for creating this result. Biden can spin a fantasy of brilliance but don't believe it.

Sure, I remember the fall of Saigon well. I followed the war from the later stages after our intervention got big. But I don't remember Tet. So big but at the waning stage. But being young, the years between our withdrawal and the defeat of South Vietnam seemed like a long time. And the cause seemed to be more that Congress cut off American military aid and support to South Vietnam. So South Vietnam's defeat was separate from defeat for America in my mind.

And 9/11? Oh, I immediately felt at war. But I did not feel defeated. 

This debacle in Afghanistan is defeat. If you can't tell the difference between this clear and obvious debacle in Afghanistan and other wars that you have to too closely examine to mathematically prove are a defeat with plenty of footnotes, you just have no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

And to Hell with the people trying to blow smoke up our butts to claim this is somehow victory

The conclusion that we lost this war is clear even without considering emboldened jihadis, now sure of Allah's will, following us home to wage war here.

Have a super sparkly day.

UPDATE: One thing that made Vietnam seem like a defeat for American troops was the refusal to draw down troops by formed units. Pulling troops out by points for time in country required shuffling troops around units which destroyed unit cohesion and morale. The Army was in poor shape for some time after that.