Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Running on Fumes

Strategypage reports that the Army is now able to order ammunition to rebuild war reserve stocks. I hadn't realized things were that bad but should have known.

Strategypage also notes that the Air Force revelations of bomb shortages were real and not, as I assumed, only shortages in immediately available munitions separate from the war reserve stocks that I assumed remained.

But even without specific knowledge of the ammunition shortage, I should have known that slighting readiness to fight includes lack of ammunition in addition to shorting spare parts and training.

And given that I recognized at the time that America had instituted our own "ten-year rule" back in 2009 that assumed America would not have to fight a major war in the "medium term" that ammunition stocks would be allowed to fall to low levels.

But I did not follow the logic other than general worries about readiness.

Indeed, a year ago I noted that we had to move bombs around theaters, but in my defense that seemed to imply the war reserve stocks were intact. And half a year ago I still thought the war reserve stocks were okay.

I was wrong.

Allies who rely on America to resupply them should take note.

Although in one sense, this particular planned shortage may not be critical if stocks can be rebuilt before an enemy decides to exploit our shortages to gain an edge in battle while they can.

I feared in 2009 that we wouldn't cancel the "rule" in time, notwithstanding the correct justification that no major enemy would arise in the medium term to challenge America.

Let's hope we did.