Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Detaching the Saucer

So far, there don't seem to be indicators that North Korea is doing anything concrete to prepare their military for action--whether war or what they plan to be a localized demonstration of their power and resolve. Which makes it far less likely that we will get nervous and launch a preemptive strike.

I hoped we were good enough to track the right indicators of impending action by North Korea. But I could never really know what they are, from my vantage point.

Austin Bay notes an indirect indicator of our North Korea indicators that I am embarrassed didn't occur to me:

What is the intelligence indicator that will tell us when Washington and Seoul believe the propaganda campaign is over and war is likely? South Korea hosts thousands of U.S. military dependents. When they start to leave, pay close attention.


That sounds about right. I may not know what we are tracking in North Korea, but our reaction to what we are tracking in North Korea will be visible.

Title from this event, if you must know. Although I honestly don't like that version of Star Trek.