Saturday, June 02, 2012

My Other Yacht

I read in a recent Proceedings that HMAS Kanimbla will return to service this year after repairs. Good.

I have a bond with this Australian ship. It used to be USS Saginaw, an LST in our Navy named after a Michigan city.

Back in the 1990s, Saginaw was transferred to Australia. And I wrote a resolution for a Michigan state legislator wishing all the best for this ship as it went into the service of a good friend and ally.

I like to think that resolution is on the ship, somewhere, as a token of the good will of the people of Michigan. Not that my name is on the framed document, mind you. I did a lot of ghost writing, back then, on various topics.

Good sailing, Kanimbla. I hope. The information above is from a March article but this Wikipedia entry cites late 2011 news to say the ship is decommissioned.