Sunday, January 01, 2012

Excuse Me. I'm a Dad

So a couple days ago I hooked up my gas fireplace again. I've lived here over ten years and except for when I first moved in and checked to see if it worked, I've had my fireplace pilot light turned off.

With a small mirror while lying on the floor, because whoever installed the gas fixture thought it was easier to place the knob pointing down to the ground rather than facing it outward, I got it going and it still works.

I had it off all these years because when Mister was little, I feared that while he was playing and my back was turned, he would tumble into the fireplace and burst into flames. Or perhaps a toy would sail into the fireplace, burst into flames, spread to the rest of my home, and cause Mister to burst into flames.

By the time he got old enough where I didn't worry about that unlikely catastrophe, Lamb was mobile but perhaps also lacking in vital self preservation instincts.

Now Lamb is old enough where I don't worry about that.

So my fireplace is turned on and I have but to hit a switch to have flames.

I hope I'm not being too hasty.