Thursday, December 04, 2008

Perhaps I Could Stay a Bit Longer

The Ethiopians got tired of waiting for the sainted international community to commit troops to Somalia to relieve the Ethiopian contingent containing the jihadis in Somalia.

I'm sure the Ethiopians know they can't wash their hands of the situation and that the jihadis and other assorted raiders will ensure that Ethiopia remains militarily involved in the Horn.

Perhaps the Ethiopian move will prompt some relief. The Ethiopians have been persuaded to keep some troops in a little longer to give the world some time to scrape up some effective troops to minimally police the chaotic Somalia:

In response to pleas from the UN, Ethiopia has agreed to keep about 2,000 troops in Mogadishu, perhaps to the end of January. The UN is scrambling to get more peacekeepers into Mogadishu, which it believes will be the scene of major fighting once the Ethiopians leave, unless a lot more peacekeepers can be obtained.


I'm guessing the UN will fail in the next two months to do what they failed to do in the last two years.

Yeah, I know, I didn't need to strain my brain to conclude this.