Monday, June 11, 2012

Saturday, 11 JUN 88

Company commander inspection. No problems
but 3rd platoon won. Only 4 of 1st's
"outstanding" soldiers got passes
for Sunday. Incredible. 4 hours sleep
last night. Will sleep a lot
tonight. Really wanted to
call [fiance] tonight. Tomorrow
I guess. Will write letters
tonight. Pugil sticks today. I
declined. No way will I risk RFT
if I can help it.

Another inspection. Our captain really didn't impact our lives much and he didn't have the rank to loom over us. So he inspected us? Fine. Take a number.

What hurt is that we didn't get a pass for Sunday. Since I don't think I ever went on any type of pass during basic training, I'm not sure what you could do on pass. Other than not be in the barracks. Still, we didn't get a pass when others did. But then again, the Army never promised to be fair.

I didn't remember having pugil sticks a second time. As I said, since I might have had a concussion when I was younger, the Army gave me the option of declining. And at this point, the prospect of being recycled for training--starting over with the next basic training class--was a bit much.