Thursday, July 07, 2011

Welcoume tou America!

I saw Scars on 45 play at this week's Sonic Lunch.



This time I got their CD at the show. They are rather good. One of the lead singers is a woman--Aimee Driver--so obviously, she had me at "Hi there, how are ya?" She has a lovely voice.

She said people have difficulty understanding them because Americans assume everyone from Britain speaks like Hugh Grant. I didn't find them difficult to understand. Now, Hugh Grant I have difficulty understanding. He was faced with a choice: Elizabeth Hurley? Or crack whore? (I have no idea if the "crack" part is true. Call it poetic license, ok?) Oh who did he choose? That's understandable?

Anyway, she said they don't talk like that because they are "dirty English." I have no idea what that means and neither does Google. Unless she literally meant they are a brand of cologne. I take it she meant something like blue collar types rather than upper crust. No matter. I expect English people to sound like Monty Python or Zulu characters.

And in a Tweet, she says they played in "Ann Arbour." How cute. The only "U" in Ann Arbor is the great Maize and Blue University of Michigan. But perhaps I'll start spelling it that way.

I snagged a chocolate malt from Kilwin's before I came home. Good God, those are great.

And I suppose I'll have to dig up my password for Facebook since she said they are shooting for 4,000 "likes."

BREAK

Ok, I was number 699 to "like" them. But they have nothing at all on their page. I feel so used ...

UPDATE: That's me (in the bluish shirt and shorts) on the extreme right. Well, in Ann Arbour I'm on the extreme right, anyway ... (Oh, and she dropped the "u" this time. Assimilating already, I see.)