Sunday, March 23, 2014

I Stand Alone

When you are right, you are right.

Lamb had an honor roll ceremony at school. When her group came in, I stood to applaud her and her classmates. She waved at me since I was near the entry path and in the front of the auditorium.

My ex-wife looked up and asked why I was standing. I said, the program requested that parents stand while the honorees are entering the auditorium and going on the stage.

I looked back, and nobody else was standing. My Ex did not join me in standing. Which is fine. I'm not unclear on the "ex" part.

What the heck. I remained standing tall, and applauded as Lamb's group continued to file in. I had no doubt that I was right and the entire audience was mistaken by remaining seated.

Not being a fanatic, when Lamb's group was seating and the next group was to come in, I sat down. I have my limits. For my daughter, I stand. For other parents' children? If their own parents won't stand, they're on their own.

I asked Lamb about this later. She said she did notice that I was the only one standing.

You know why, I asked? Because in that entire auditorium of parents, I was the only one who had actually read the instructions in the program which asked all of us to stand as students entered the auditorium.

Lamb noted the obvious that all parents do is make sure their child's name is in the program and that's really about it.

I persisted and told her it is always important to read the instructions. I'm not sure if I persuaded her.

I hope the implicit lesson of standing up for what you believe even when nobody else agrees sticks, too.