Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Illustrating the Problem

I often think that the State Department has an unfortunate tendency to view the process of negotiating as the objective of negotiating. John Kerry seems to agree with my view.

I wouldn't fear our diplomats being set loose to talk to our enemies if I had faith that they'd always focus on the objective at hand rather than caving on agreement details to save the talks and get an agreement--any agreement--that validates the talking.

Secretary Kerry personifies the problem of diplomacy for the sake of diplomacy, with a web page on the Department of State site that provides counters to track his miles travelled (I should be grateful it isn't in kilometers), days spent travelling, time spent in the air, and destinations since assuming office.

There's a lot of motion. So that's the same as action and success.

I'm sure there will be cake when Kerry passes Hillary Clinton in miles travelled.