Thursday, August 15, 2013

Phew

I know the status of my running endeavors is fascinating.

I worried that after three weeks off, that I'd grown dangerously out of shape. Running the first time after that pause was agony.

But after three days out, I felt fine again. I wasn't running in pre-vacation time, but it was no longer agony.

Then after that week, I blew out my knee. Not running, mind you.

Sure, you'd think that it was in some dangerous sport, rescuing a kitten from a burning building, or perhaps in the midst of an orgy with a cheerleading team, but you'd be wrong.

No, my knee gave out while I was lying on my couch watching Netflix. I kid you not.

I have no idea how it happened, but I just noticed that bending my knee really hurt. I'm used to occasional twinges where it seems to stiffen and then after 5 minutes of moving it is fine. This got worse. It was so bad that I couldn't sleep. Every movement was a stab of pain.

And apparently I don't lie perfectly still while I sleep.

Anyway, I could put little weight on it, so missed a couple days of running. After a few days my knee was fine and so I went out running again, expecting more agony.

But I tied my best running time for 2 miles this year. And then yesterday I broke my modern record, going under 17 minutes. I'm still shy of my goal of going under 14 minutes (which I could do in the Army). But I don't despair of possibly reaching that goal this year.

So I did recover from the pause during vacation. Which is heartening.

I now resume my usual blogging.