Friday, July 06, 2012

Wednesday, 6 JUL 88

Who can stop swearing
in this fucking place.
Our all day pass dwindled to
2 hours which for myself and 3
other select 1st platoon troops ended
up as a 10 minute pass after
cleaning battalion headquarters. 1 minute
on phone with [fiance]. This
fucking place stinks. Goddamn
3rd platoon left us hanging. 1st
platoon screwed as per SOP.

My effort to stop swearing was put on hold.

Even on the next-to-last day, we had duty. That was a lesson, too, I suppose. When you are in the Army, you are in the Army. It may be unfair that some have duty when others don't, but that's the way it is. I suppose you could say it was a backdoor draft of having our duty hours extended.

But it wasn't, of course. Mission first. Phone call second. But hey, we did manage to find vending machines and buy candy bars. Woo hoo! Not exactly the best pass I ever had. But at least the 3rd battalion of the 10th infantry regiment headquarters was tidied up that day. And 3rd platoon somehow skated when they should have joined our effort. I was used to thinking that by then.