Friday, June 29, 2012

Wednesday, 29 JUN 88

PT test today. Wrapped my
upper thigh, Ben Gyed everything.
did push ups--50. Sit ups--73.
2-mile run 14:16.My leg
held up--I even sprinted
the last 1/4 lap. Pizza
party tonight. Can drink pop now
and eat anything we want.
Tried to call [fiance]. She was
at class. I knew it but thought
I'd try anyway. EOCT tomorrow.
Inspection Friday now.
We won AFPT banner. Gave
Motivation banner to 3rd platoon. They
also got 100%. We won since all
us old farts kicked ass and boosted
our average. All but one passed
Army standards. 2nd platoon had one
PT failure. We missed 100% company
pass by one. Letter from [fiance]
today. Good to hear from her.
Only 8 more damn days here.
I hope we get paid Friday. I've
got $2 left.

My leg held for the PT test and I did fine. I remember running with another platoon-mate. It helped to run with someone else to maintain the pace. When there was a quarter mile to go, I told him I was going to sprint home in case he wanted to join me. It felt good to have the juice to pour it on at the end.

Our 1st platoon had a lot of older members like myself. Since Army scores are weighted for age, just doing as well as younger troops gave us old farts more points. So we won the PT banner. Not that we needed that edge to pass. In AIT, one young trooper with a reputation for being a runner lost out to me in raw time in one timed run, I recall. Maybe he wasn't trying hard that day, but still.

I remember the drill sergeants standing the single company failure from 2nd platoon in front of us all and explaining that he was why we wouldn't get a pass. Oh, I'd hate to be that one guy standing in front of all of the rest.

I don't remember if we had to buy the pizzas. If we did, I was out of luck with only 2 bucks left before pay day.

This was the last real hurdle for me since it relied on my bum leg holding out. Taped up and numbed, it held out.

Hooah.