Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Ticket-Punching in the Russian Military

On paper, Russian commanders have combat experience. The reality almost certainly doesn't match the paper trail.

Part of Russia's poor combat performance may stem from "short command tours [which] reminds me of some of the problems we had in Vietnam that we repeated in GWOT."

Could be. I commented on that aspect of their vaunted Syrian intervention when large numbers of officers rotated through Syria:

My question is whether the Russian officers who briefly served in Syria learned to lead a fight or just punched tickets in a simulation of learning.

I'm guessing my question was valid given practice during the current much more serious war.

NOTE: TDR Winter War of 2022 coverage continues here.

NOTE: You may also like to read my posts on Substack, at The Dignified Rant: Evolved. Go ahead and subscribe to it. It's the right thing to do!

NOTE: I made the image with Bing. Oddly, when I told it to edit the picture to show the officers lined up one behind the other, I was refused with the system saying it detected unsafe image. Why?? Bing is great but it makes it difficult for defense authors to generate illustrations.