Friday, July 19, 2024

NATO Must Be Able to Go Toe-to-Toe With the Russkies

For all its wealth and technology, NATO states lack the ground combat capability to go toe to toe with the Russkies.

I wrote in June

I'm skeptical: "NATO countries have 'comfortably exceeded' a target of placing 300,000 troops on high-readiness as the alliance grapples with the threat from Russia, a senior alliance official said Thursday." How many are combat brigades? Past commitments relied on sailors for the big number.

I was right to be suspicious about 300,000 ready troops

NATO will need between 35 and 50 extra brigades to fully realise its new plans to defend against an attack from Russia, a military source told Reuters. ...

It is unclear from where NATO allies might draw the additional personnel for 35 to 50 brigades. Troops could be shifted from other parts of the armed forces, additional soldiers could be recruited, or NATO members could opt for a mix of both approaches.

Ships and planes are great for supporting troops. But you still have to have enough troops to be supported. I sincerely doubt that NATO can count on nearly every Army active and National Guard combat brigade that America has to close that gap.

I'd include the Marines in that potential American ground force, but I honestly have no idea what the Marines do these days.

UPDATE: I made a suggestion in Army Magazine about how America could gather up the atomized small European NATO army units to make some progress to closing the ground troop shortage.

NOTE: TDR Winter War of 2022 coverage continues here.

NOTE: I'm adding updates on the Last Hamas War in this post.

NOTE: I'm now on Substack, with The Dignified Rant: Evolved.