Saturday, March 05, 2016

Tribal Auxiliaries Still Exist

We still have Native American Indian scouts.

Strategypage notes an old part of our military history that continues.

Which is really just an old part of general military history.

But we still employ some Native American scouts along the Mexican border.

And the Alaskan Scouts still exist as part of the 201st Infantry Group. Which is interesting to me because I'm pretty sure I mentioned them not too long ago in the context of the Cold War (but I can't find that post so maybe I wanted to mention them but didn't because I had no confirmation of their current existence), but when I tried to find out if they still existed, I could not find any current information to confirm that.

And Native Americans have long been honored in regular Army service, as I experienced in Army basic training.

Anyway, it is interesting.