Saturday, April 02, 2011

A Post in Which I Admit Error

I assumed we sent our cruise missile submarine Florida home from the Libya theater. I reasoned it is such a strategic asset that we'd want it shaken loose to keep other potential foes wondering where it is. Further, with the sheer volume of missiles unleashed in the first day, I assumed Florida fired off most of its tubes.

This article says otherwise:

The Navy began the operation March 19 with 12 ships in the Mediterranean. As of Friday, nine remained: the submarines USS Florida and USS Scranton; destroyers USS Stout and USS Barry; amphibious warships USS Kearsarge and USS Ponce; the command ship USS Mount Whitney; and two supply ships, USNS Robert E. Peary and USNS Kanawha.

So Florida is still on station? Of course, that's what you'd expect them to say, I suppose, to keep foes off balance wondering where the sub is. Better to have people think the sub is where it isn't than to know where it is not. The third submarine that took part in the strikes--an attack sub--could really be the second unseen sub still on station.

So I don't rule out that I'm right.