Friday, April 29, 2011

Keep an Army and Not Hostages

While the White House--to its credit despite immense pressure from its base to just bug out--understands that we need to stay in Iraq after this year, I worry that their split-the-difference approach to policy will leave us with too few troops in Iraq to defend our gains. Our man on the ground in Iraq has a specific figure in mind that is higher than what the White House is contemplating:

General Lloyd Austin, the top U.S. general in Iraq, is pushing for at least 22,000 troops to stay, according to Pentagon sources. The White House wants less than 10,000. Secretary Gates reportedly feels it is increasingly important to leave a strong U.S. presence in Iraq to counter Iran's rising influence as a result of the "Arab Spring" in which anti-government demonstrations have taken place in several countries throughout the region.

I've noted many times over the last 8 months that I want 25,000 troops. This isn't much different from General Austin's preference. My notional 25,000 was based on the composition of the existing 50,000 and I assumed 25K would include 3 advise and assist brigades plus several thousand special forces. The remainder of 12,000 would be support troops to bring the total to 25,000. So I can't say that 22,000 is inadequate. I'd like to see what the 22,000 includes. If it includes 3 advise and assist brigades and special forces, it may be that my sheer guess of how many support troops would be needed is a bit high. I'll trust Austin's figure.

I can say that 10,000 is wholly inadequate and represents a symbolic force rather than one capable of fighting to protect itself or the Iraqi government from internal or external threats. There is no way to fit what I think we need into that number. The only thing to say in its favor is that it would be better than nothing.

But at least there is a debate about the number. Now if only the Iraqi government will request our continued presence ...