Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Long Live the King

As the Army pursues a replacement armored vehicle that can replace our basic Abrams-Bradley team, the Abrams main battle tank continues to be improved:

Fifty-eight M1A2 Abrams Tanks with the second version of the system enhancement package were fielded to two 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team battalions this week, the first 3rd Infantry Division units to receive them.

The brigade is trading out older M1A1 tanks in a roll out marking the division’s move from an analog Abrams platform to digital.

All 17 active component heavy brigade combat teams and all 9 National Guard heavy brigade combat teams will get the M1A2 SEPv2 version.

As an aside, I got this news via my Global Security email updates. My current policy is that I only link to their articles if I cannot find the article in the original from outside of their universe because of the annoying feature of automatically opening new windows and if I really, really want to note the article. It's a shame, really. I'd love to send traffic and credit to them, but the new windows--combined with the additional pop-ups to stop you from closing their window that just scream "malware" is too much.