Monday, November 01, 2010

Ratings

I hope this will be the last (and second) navel-gazing post on this subject. Since Blogger started providing statistics, it has been confusing when I compare them to my Site Meter stats. Blogger consistently shows higher traffic.

These are the numbers for the last four full months of page views:

----------------July---August---September---October
On Blogger: 4753....5354.........4796............3453
Site  Meter: 1999.....2128.........1778............1991

Overall, I have traffic that is, on average, 2.3 times as great as Site Meter shows, with significant variation even on a monthly basis. On a daily basis, it can be astoundingly different.

As I mentioned before, I suspect that Site Meter doesn't handle hits from non-computer sources or social networking sites as well. But I can't be sure since Blogger stats don't provide the level of detail on individual hits as Site Meter does. Unless Blogger is registering false hits for some reason, Blogger provides more accurate data while Site Meter provides interesting signals intelligence for the hits it does register.

Anyway, this is interesting to me.