Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Heresy

You know, for a "science" that only Halliburton stockholders deny, the Gorian faith of man-caused global warming sure takes a lot of hits in this documentary. As an article about the movie states:


The main cause of warming is, not surprisingly, the sun.

"The analogy I use," says Dr. Tim Ball, a former climatology professor at the University of Winnipeg, "is my car's not running very well, so I'm going to ignore the engine, which is the sun, and I'm going to ignore the transmission, which is the water vapour and I'm going to look at one nut on the right rear wheel which is the human produced CO2. The science is that bad."

The film starts off covering indisputable facts. There was a Medieval Warm Period that was warmer than today -- that led to incredible wealth in Europe when the bulk of the continent's great cathedrals were built and when Britain had thriving vineyards. Then came the Little Ice Age that started in the 17th century and was so cold London's Thames River would freeze so solidly festivals were held on it.

About 10,000 years ago, during a time known as the Holocene Maximum, it was much warmer even than the Medieval times.


Apparently I am not, as my ex-wife calls me (in good nature, I should add), the last person on Earth not to think that man-made global warming is real.

Even if we are causing the planet to get warmer, why is it bad and why should we cripple our economy to try to maintain our current climate? Until somebody can tell me what the ideal planetary average temperature is, I don't give the Gorists much credibility. Our climate has always changed over time and it will continue to do so.

And if you are wondering why, for goodness sake, remember the big hot thing in the sky. It just might have something to do with how warm we are. Just maybe. It kind of even makes sort of sense, ya know?