Tuesday, March 20, 2007

AFRICOM Model

My Jane's email updates notes a success story in the world of Islam and democracy:

Contrary to Western stereotypes of the Muslim world, Senegal is among both the most democratic and devout Islamic states in sub-Saharan Africa. Combining a staunch commitment to secularism inherited from French colonial rule with a deep attachment to the faith networks pervading society, it presents a paradoxical success story of tolerance and political adaptability.


I can't say I know much about Senegal. I'm sure AFRICOM does. And I'm sad to say that if Senegal is indeed the success story of Islam and democracy that Jane's says it is, it will be a target for al Qaeda and other jihadis.

I may not think we really need AFRICOM, but as long as it exists, I dare say Senegal will be of high interest to us as an asset to protect.