Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Plan So Crazy It Just Might Work

Simple advice to getting rich:

The secret to getting rich is as powerful as it is unexciting: live below your means.

That’s it. The bigger the difference between what you earn and what you spend, the sooner you’ll find yourself with enough money to do what you want with your life. ...

Real freedom is the ability to make life choices that make you happy. Frugality puts money in your pocket so you can do just that.

And the author has an important reminder that when you see people with lots of stuff and who go on big vacations, they may not be rich as much as they are in debt--or at best living paycheck to paycheck no better off financially than someone broke and with nothing.

Tip to Instapundit.

I've followed this advice all my life, and it has allowed me to withstand financial setbacks without wrecking my life. You  always want a reserve to commit to the battle of life at decisive points.

And eventually, living below my means allowed to make decisions on quality of life that were beyond my wildest dreams when I started my career.

I'm not rich, but I've managed to make choices to make me happy. I'll settle for that, eh?

Plan for the best. But prepare for the worst.