Sunday, April 07, 2013

Breaking the Kill Chain Two Years Ago

A new Congressional Research Service (CRS) report just out addresses China's naval developments and notes methods to defeat the DF-21 anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM).

I always thought that working for Congressional Research Service would have been fun. I did something similar at the state level. So it was a pleasure to read how to break the ASBM kill chain in this publication (starting at page 63) (Tip to Defense News).

Or you could have read my blog post of two years ago about how to break the kill chain.

The CRS report section notes specific weapons--so is far superior in addressing specific hardware than mine even pretended to be--while I relied on a more general theoretical approach, but I think my post goes through the kill chain explaining counter-measures more effectively. So the the section and post complement each other. But I'm biased.

And it is good to see that my caution about missing something in my off-the-cuff notional kill chain was needless. I didn't missed anything in the kill chain.

The author knows his stuff, so don't get me wrong. I'll be reading the entire report.