Thursday, April 08, 2010

I Have References

Last week, Lamb carried out an anti-pass over ritual of putting a picture of the Easter Bunny with a checked box on my door window, indicating that the Easter Bunny should stop at my home and not pass us over. He has never missed in the past, so I don't know why there should be a question. But I thought it was cute. She did it at her mom's, too. And it worked, apparently.

But it then struck me that the holiday beings of Santa, the Easter Bunny, and even the Tooth Fairy are like mystical character references. For divorced dads everywhere, they are the seal of approval that you've made a home for them and you  love them and protect them. If dad's home wasn't the child's home, too, why would Santa deliver presents there? Why would the Eater Bunny leave baskets of candy?

So, yes, I'm a dad. I have the best references a child could ask for.