Friday, October 09, 2026

Oh ... Canada--Wait. What?

I think Canada needs an intervention. Not a military intervention. But an intervention of friends--perhaps the governors of American states that trade heavily with Canada--concerned about Canada's recent self-destructive behavior.

Canada's prime minister has stoked anti-Americanism for domestic political objectives. And now Carney wants to “own the MAGA” via the EU: 

International opportunism retains its attractions even among the polite and inoffensive. Mark Carney won election by distracting Canadians from the serial failures of his Liberal predecessor with his “elbows up” campaign against Donald Trump. ... Carney preferred to take his place on the international stage as an icon of liberal internationalism. Clearly his term as governor of the Bank of England only whetted his appetite for even greater standing in world affairs. Why waste one’s time repairing national health care, facing down Albertan separatists or (God help you) appeasing the Québécois, when you could bask in the acclaim of your Davos compadres?

Putin tried that strategy by elevating the post-Cold War neutered NATO into a looming enemy to hide Russia's appeasement of China in order to save Russia's Far East. Putin and Russians eventually believed that ridiculous claim and created rearming enemies in Europe.

I like Canada. I have Canadian relatives. I've been there a lot. But I think Canadians are off their government-subsidized meds. 

At least Canada won't face American invasion--oh, FFS, seriously, Carney?--as a consequence of their ridiculous claim. But Canada will not prosper on this path even if Carney faces no repercussions.

NOTE: TDR Winter War of 2022 coverage continues here.

NOTE: You may also like to read my posts on Substack, at The Dignified Rant: Evolved. Go ahead and subscribe to it. It's the right thing to do!