Friday, May 05, 2023

The Long War Takes a Pause to Refresh the Jihadis

The jihadis have been busy in Afghanistan since our Skedaddle Debacle in the summer of 2021.

From the "Well, Duh" files: 

Less than two years after President Biden withdrew U.S. personnel from Afghanistan, the country has become a significant coordination site for the Islamic State as the terrorist group plans attacks across Europe and Asia, and conducts “aspirational plotting” against the United States, according to a classified Pentagon assessment that portrays the threat as a growing security concern.

How is this a surprise rather than predictable? 

I mean, jihadi hatred survived a major dose of inspirational hopenchange! How would defeating America quench jihadi appetite to kill us?

I thought it would be better to stay and mow the jihadi grass by helping local allies. We refused. And now the yard is overgrown with grass, weeds, and I assume poppies. Getting worse every day.

Or did you really believe farcical reassurances that over-the-horizon counter-terrorism would keep the murdering SOBs contained?

Have a super sparkly day. 

NOTE: TDR Winter War of 2022 coverage continues here.