Saturday, January 11, 2020

Requesting My Input

A city of Ann Arbor "task force" wants my input on what do do with certain downtown property designated as a central urban park. I received their mailing recently:

A PLACE FOR EVERYONE! The Commons is shared by all people acting as equal shareholders. It is a place where creating and living the culture of peaceful sustainability is central as the common mission of humanity. A place distinguished by the highest aspirations of the human family, harmony of cultures and the universal declaration of human rights. A place inviting the love and generosity of Ann Arbor people to think and work and cooperate together to create something beautiful in the physical world, bringing us more together as a community as a whole.

Is that all it will do? Honestly I was just hoping to get rid of the stench of human urine in Liberty Plaza in the summer.

The words are English but they make no sense to me. It's a word salad of woke progressive terms. To provide my input I'd have to understand what on Earth any of that means.

Nathan Fillion - Reaction - Castle Gif
For Pete's sake, doesn't anybody see this as basically the premise of Parks and Recreation?



Other than the details that we'll lose a surface parking lot and get a lovely path, I'm not sure what the project is supposed to really achieve. Perhaps the input is for the nature of the shrubbery on the path:



Laurels are apparently a good idea.

Look, I'm sure these are nice people who truly want to do good for our city. They're trying to do more than my mockery can achieve.

But I hardly want my fingerprints on this clusterfuck that will surely result in a tragedy of the commons.

So good luck with it. Whatever it is. It sounds awesome.