Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Well, The People Have Spoken--Damn Them

The only bright side is that in our country, the people do speak.

And once again we will have a peaceful transition of power.

So take that, Russia.

UPDATE: Huh. I confess I scheduled this assuming a Clinton win. Recall I had vowed not to get my hopes up as I had in 2012 that the polls underestimated Romney's support.

At around 9:00 or so last night, I started to wonder why Clinton didn't have it wrapped up.

I went to sleep thinking Clinton would lose, but didn't want to jinx it by changing the post.

Needless to say I am deeply relieved that Clinton lost.

And as of early Wednesday afternoon that feeling of relief has not faded.

I'm no fan of Trump, but we can endure him more easily.

And maybe he'll do some good.

Amazing.

UPDATE: Although really, the original post works for either candidate.

Is Putin really happy that the American people demonstrated we could vote for who we want even though the entrenched elites bent the system to get their candidate elected?

I started Tuesday believing that Republicans selected the only candidate who Hillary could defeat.

But it turns out Democrats selected the only candidate Trump could beat.

UPDATE: Programming note: The 8-year hiatus of "dissent being the highest form of patriotism" will end January 2017, FYI.

UPDATE: Oh, and if you are curious, after drawing up an electoral map Tuesday morning based on what I thought was an optimistic reading of Trump's chances, I came up with a map that had Hillary Clinton winning with 270 electoral votes.

UPDATE: And for the celebrities who had vowed to move abroad if trump won, don't let the doorknob hit you in the butt on the way out.

UPDATE: I wonder if Harry Reid regrets rolling the "nuclear option" out to the launch pad a couple weeks ago on the assumption that Democrats would take control of the Senate and White House now that the Republicans will control both:

Envisioning Hillary Clinton in the White House and Democrats controlling the Senate, Reid warned that if a Senate Republican minority block her Supreme Court nominee, he is confident the party won't hesitate to change the filibuster rules again.

Talk about bad timing.

UPDATE: Does President Obama really want to set an example of executive power usage in his last days in office when President Trump is about to settle in for a four-year term?

UPDATE: Last update. In 2008, I was as depressed as Democrats probably are now. This is how I greeted our new president. This should be my last update on this post, I think.

UPDATE: One more. This was the sum total of my disappointed reaction to the Romney loss--who I expected to win--in 2012.

Honestly, crying students just offend me when young American men and women the same age are low on sleep humping their way through Third World Hell holes or sweating on ships far from home in uniform. Even in the drills on coming under friggin' nuclear attack, after treating casualties and reporting to higher headquarters, the final Army instruction was to continue the mission--not cry and ask your platoon sergeant for coloring books. [I checked my old manual and to be fair, "continue the mission" is only specified in a chemical weapons attack, but I recall the same instruction for a nuclear strike.]

Too many college students are unable to continue their safe and relatively unchallenging mission of being college students.