Saturday, August 16, 2014

Flood

I almost got stuck away from home Monday night because of the flash flooding in the Detroit area.


This was at Southfield and I-94. Fortunately the bulk of the problem was to the east and once finally on I-94 it was smooth sailing (figuratively, obviously).

I still can't believe I watched drivers enter flooded intersections with abandoned cars already stuck, somehow thinking that their small vehicle could make it. The SUV ahead of you is not the proper metric of comparison.

That would have been a sucky way to end a vacation. It's bad enough to know I have to deal with a computer that failed just prior to leaving for the weekend.

Luckily, I've backed up key documents and pictures online--but some stuff is lost.

And what's with iTunes not letting me copy my iPod music to another computer? To designate a new computer as my backup I have to allow the new computer's inventory of music (zero) to replace my iPod collection (nearly 500)? Really?

There is apparently non-Apple software to cover this, but I'm not sure I want to risk that.

So I had worse problem than a flood. Which makes me relatively lucky, I admit.